Program Assistant / Event Planner (closed)
Our client, a global non profit firm is seeking a bright 2011/2012 college grad to work in a program assistant capacity supporting the National Program Director.
Candidates must have some administrative or event planning experience, strong Word, Excel and PowerPoint, any database exp a huge plus. Strong writing and proofreading capabilities are also a must.
Job Title: Program Assistant
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work closely with supervisor on governance-related projects (e.g., draft and/or word-process meeting agendas, meeting announcements and materials, minutes of meetings, etc., for the Board of Directors, Executive Committee and Nominating Committee). Proofread documents, draft other department correspondence such as program notices, thank you notes, etc.
- Create, maintain and update event and donor records in Raiser’s Edge and other databases to ensure that records of donor contributions, pledges and event registrations are complete and accurate. Generate mailing lists and run reports from the database, as requested.
- Research prospective donors and donor giving histories via donor database, department files, and in consultation with the regional offices staff.
- Assist the Vice President and Director of VIP Visits in planning, developing and implementing special events. Provide on-site coordination at events as needed.
- Assist the Director of VIP Visits in compiling itineraries for regional missions, visiting scientists and individual donor visits to the Institute. Track upcoming visits to the Institute online and record and file completed visit information.
- Assist the Vice President and Director of VIP Visits in developing language and layout design for program materials.
- Assist in the management of the donor recognition process for donations over $5,000
- Review and process forms containing donor information
- Work with department, regional office, and Executive office staff to verify accuracy of information
- Use templates to create donor recognition letters based on this information
- Copy, file, and distribute donor recognition letters in a timely fashion
- Maintain correspondence information in Raiser’s Edge database.
- Set up a proper budget format, track revenue and expenses, and create lists and reports for supervisor.
- Coordinate finances, including accounts payable and reimbursement of expenses.
- Maintain and distribute monthly calendar of events and list of visiting scientists.
- Solicit vendors for quotes and samples on various products for event services and program materials.
- Follow up on basic information requests by mail, email, fax and phone.
- Establish and maintain rapport with donors and prospects through initial and follow-up email and telephone contact.
- Facilitate communication with other staff in both the National and regional offices to coordinate activities and enhance donor relations.
- Organize and maintain department files and records.
- Sort and distribute incoming mail. Fax correspondence.
- Assist senior staff in the department in the management of their schedules by maintaining a tickler file. Schedule appointments, both in and out of the office, and maintain calendar.
- Prepare Vice President and Director of VIP Visits’ expense reports.
- Photocopy materials. Assist with office mailings.
- Answer department telephones as necessary.
- Provide back-up to main switchboard.
- Participate in special projects, as assigned.
- Occasional evening work, as needed.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent oral and written business communication skills, including solid editing and proofreading skills.
- Deadline and detail-oriented administrator with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Multi-task oriented. Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Exercises sound judgment in performing the tasks of the job. Knows when to make independent decisions and has a high degree of the awareness of the impact of decisions in other areas.
- Ability to interface well with all departments of the organization and work cooperatively with department staff to achieve department goals.
- Demonstrates initiative to learn new skills and/or expand job responsibilities.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of position.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements: Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office—
Outlook, Excel, Access—and and database software and Internet navigation/search functions.
Proficiency with donor base software, particularly Raiser’s Edge, is preferred.