I am currently looking for a Mechanical Engineer, reporting to the Director of Engineering, to be part of the team that is responsible for developing both the initial product concepts and the manufacturing ready final designs. The mechanical engineer will focus on product design and be capable of working independently or as part of the team.
- Develop electro-mechanical drawings, diagrams, and procedures to support the application of electric motors, generators and actuator systems.
- Support supplier quotation prototype sourcing.
- Build, modify and re-design mechanical prototypes.
- Fabrication and assembly of test apparatus, fixtures, jigs.
- Create, execute and document prototype test plans.
- Support manufacturing cost reduction efforts including sourcing, re-design and test.
- Create manufacturing assembly and test documentation for factory acceptance test.
- Create component incoming inspection criteria for Quality Control.
- Direct and administrate internal and external research and development activities including Government research contracts as a primary point of contact (Principal Investigator) to the NSF, DOE, DOD, NASA and other agencies.
- Develop concepts and detailed designs of parts and assemblies.
- Perform analysis as required for thermal, stress and other design requirements.
- Work with design and manufacturing team for cost effective new designs and cost improvement on existing designs.
- Other responsibilities will include materials selection, cost estimates, rapid prototype parts for evaluation, design reviews, verification processes and qualification testing to ensure compliance with the current standards prescribed by UL, CSA, NEMA and other agencies.
- Conduct and participate in design reviews.
- Work with manufacturing team on assembly tooling and manufacturing equipment.
- Prepare specifications, purchase orders, test plans and reports as required.
MUST HAVE, Education and experience
- BSME or equivalent degree. MSME or higher degree is a plus.
- 10+ years experience in the design of machinery or equipment. Prefer experience with motors, generators or other rotating machinery.
- Experience with materials selection.
- Proficiency with Autodesk and Abacus a plus.
- Experience with casting and extrusions is a plus.
- Experience with plastic molded parts is a plus.
- Experience with bearings is a plus.
- Patent Experience Preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills required.