Data Center Operator
Operates and monitors computer and peripheral equipment, such as printers, tape and disk drives on an IBM Mainframe. Selects and loads input and output tapes, observes operation of equipment, control panels, error lights, verification printouts, error messages and faulty output. Researches error messages and may manipulate console to re-sequence job steps after a job is interrupted. Provides Tier 1 support for the Data Center, including troubleshooting issues and addressing connectivity and hardware issues.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors and controls operation of multi-platform/multi-vendor networked computer systems while maintaining close observance of systems consoles to meet processing schedule deadlines in lieu of heavy workloads.
- Determines area of hardware, systems software, WAN Communications and application program failures. Works with support staff and vendor system engineers in resolution of those problems. Corrects minor job failures and restarts all failed job processes.
- Maintains the general customer support service phone number to Fisher and Emerson Process worldwide users
- Monitors key Data Center facility and server hardware monitoring systems
- Provides operational support for the Data Center, responding to alerts.
- Provide tier 1 troubleshooting support for the Data Center, including escorting vendors on the DC floor.
High School Diploma Required but a 2 year degree in an Information Technology (IT) related field or higher is preferred.
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS:
- 2 years of AS400/IBM Mainframe operator experience required.
- Some Experience in manipulating controls to revise task sequences as necessary to continue operations when components fail and in support of User requirements is required.
- Some Experience at correcting cross platform job failures on an AS400/IBM Mainframe is required.
- Competent in the operation of multi-platform multi-vendor information processing systems
- Competent operating knowledge of multi-vendor hardware equipment
Customer service skills