Project Engineer (closed)
This position is responsible for supporting the areas of advanced manufacturing, instrumentation, control, and visualization in providing assistance services to improve client-company manufacturing process and practices through the installation and utilization of manufacturing software technologies.
Installation of manufacturing software and instrumentation/signal analysis hardware is the primary focus; however, knowledge of manufacturing processes is a plus.
1. The ability to provide research including the evaluation, development, and implementation of innovative manufacturing technologies.
2. Provide customer service to include helping companies build a business case for integration and the implementation of advanced software technologies. Investigate, develop, and provide suggested solutions for improving client manufacturing operations through the implementation of manufacturing software solutions.
3. Conduct technical evaluations and provide technical support to clients to assist them with integration of modern manufacturing and operational techniques and technologies.
4. Conduct client site-visits, assessments, and operations reviews to identify needs and opportunities.
5. The ability to effectively identify, support, and measure the success of the client-company’s overall business strategy through basic factors of production (people, machines, equipment, technologies, materials and information).
6. Provide instruction to teach companies how to use applied software and improve their operations and methods.
7. Through customer interaction, determine the need for software updates, features, options, and bug fixes. Communicate these needs internally and with software developers. Determine deployment strategy for new-version software releases, and schedule and execute required updates.
8. Provide in-depth technical support on all aspects of deployed software and hardware solutions, including telephone, PC, and site visits as required.
9. Build and maintain confidence of client-company decision-makers by exposing them to and educating them about best manufacturing strategies and practices, and modern technologies and management approaches and their uses. Prepare and present briefings and reports to internal and external personnel. Effectively interface with client personnel at all organizational levels.
10. Assist sales and marketing efforts through material review, sales calls (with salesperson), trade shows, conferences, magazine articles, and the like.
11. Maintain active awareness of manufacturing technologies and techniques through professional development programs, especially state-of-the-practice information concerning machining.
12. Support the establishment and control of project budgets. Consult with appropriate project team members to resolve any problems or to discuss progress. Make internal presentations to review status of projects as required. Assess results of completed projects and
recommend improvements in methods or materials. Provide timely internal reports to management (e.g., project reports, expense reports, timecards, etc.).
13. Contribute to the strategic and operating policies, objectives, and long-range plans as requested for us. Support the integration of Machining Services activities with other areas within the company.
Individual must be a team player with the ability to exercise independent, sound judgment and discretion; be able to plan; be well organized with the ability to multi-task; work well under pressure; take initiative, and be flexible and cooperative. Requires the ability to develop effective working relationships with all company staff and observe/work within the guidelines of the company’s policies, procedures, and practices.
Individual must represent us in a cooperative and professional manner. This includes personal appearance, written and spoken communications, responsiveness, and integrity.
Proficiency in software applications required in the performance of job duties (MS Office Suite) is required. Prefer familiarity in application-level programming and configuration of CNCs (FANUC and Siemens Sinumerik), PLCs (Siemens, Allen-Bradley), and common industrial fieldbus technology (i.e., Profibus).
Familiarity and experience in current LAN and WAN network configuration and hardware, both wired and wireless.
Proficiency in programming in C++, Visual Basic, SQL experience, and CNC (ISO, or G-code) is preferred; other language experience is welcome (.NET, Java, PHP etc.). CAD/CAM, smartphone/tablet application development (iPhone, iPad, Android), and LabView experience is a plus.
Proficiency in creating and deploying cloud-based software applications.
Proficiency in fault diagnosis and wiring of CNC machine tools (wiring, I/O, servo systems, ladder programming), requiring a thorough understanding and experience with wiring diagrams, multimeters, oscilloscopes, common hand tools, and electrical, electronic, and mechanical diagnosis techniques.
Familiarity with machine tool mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems is preferred.
Proficiency in the selection, application, and physical integration of common data gathering devices (digital and analog I/O devices, current sensors, thermocouples, accelerometers, etc.)