Controls Engineer (closed)
The Controls Engineer serves as an electrical controls resource for both sustaining and making operational improvements throughout the plant. These improvements often include capital expansion, and cost reduction projects. Identify and manage electrical and controls scope of projects. Demonstrates and applies a broad knowledge of field specialization through successful completion of moderately complex assignments in collaborative team environment. Successfully applies complex knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of particular area of specialization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following, other duties and special projects may be assigned:
- This position will be responsible for project development, design, application, management, implementation, and programming of controls systems for automated packaging equipment.
- Recommends ideas related to productivity improvement, cost reduction and improvement .
- Projects will cover a diverse range both in scope and area. Position is required to make decisions concerning systems architecture, equipment selections, project schedules and cost requirements
- Performs complex technical interchange and knowledge transfer for both processes and application of products to system design.
- Able to effectively communicate ideas and concepts to peers, subordinates and leadership within the organization and across organizational lines.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, and customer focused.
- Take the initiative on projects and to effectively express opinions and thoughts on relevant matters
- Originates concepts for control systems architecture for new and existing packaging equipment, including support equipment such as conveying, weight control, and quality systems.
- Develops project concepts into quantitative and qualitative proposals consisting of preliminary equipment specifications and layouts, utility services, control schematics, manpower requirements and viable alternatives.
- Prepares project proposals consisting of general description, available options, justification and estimated completion date and recommends project approvals or rejections and alternative selections.
- Develops detail specifications and layouts for equipment and facilities.
- Coordinates design work on portions of projects assigned to other engineers and/or outside engineering firms.
- Provides maintenance assistance when required due to complexity of equipment or request from maintenance personnel.
- Prepares monthly report on status of projects and estimated completion dates. Maintains project information files and equipment/service supplier files.
- Must be a team player in addition to making individual contributions.
- Some travel required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (to include but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Industrial food processing experience preferred.
- Industrial food processing/packaging experience preferred.
Education and/or Experience
- Associate’s degree in related discipline from an accredited college/university
- BS/BA degree in a related field of discipline from an accredited college/university is preferred
- Candidates must have experience with the following:
- Allen Bradley Programmable Logic Controllers
- Human Machine Interface Terminals
- Fundamental understanding of electrical design practices, control systems integration, controls
architectures, electro-mechanical drive systems and safety.
- Microsoft – Windows 7
- Preferred Experience
- Allen Bradley Controllogix PLC, SLC PLC, PLC5, Panel View HMI.
- Motion control systems.
- Siemens PLCProfibus and Wonderware programming experiences a plus.
- Design work is to be expected; experience in ACADE 2008