Manager, Data Centre (closed)
Positive and progressive describes the Primus Canada team. Our team members are comprised of a wide range of dedicated professionals who all have one thing in common – devotion to this highly exciting and dynamic industry.
We recognize that growth, challenge and opportunity motivate our team members. We are dedicated to creating a well-educated work force where all team members can fulfill their professional goals.
Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. ("Primus Canada") offers the widest selection of consumer and business telecommunications services available nationwide, including Long Distance & Local Phone Service, TalkBroadband (VoIP), Wireless service, and Internet services (High Speed DSL & Dial-up). Primus Canada now serves over 1 million customers across its suite of services. As a leading Internet Service Provider (ISP) in Canada, Primus Canada has over 100,000 Internet subscribers accessing 46 national points-of-presence across Canada.
The Manager, Data Centre Operations is responsible for overall management of the local data center and for the organization and safety of the data center department (including data center staff), to ensure smooth operations of Primus’ network and its facilities through structured change control policy. This position communicates and manages departmental objectives, policies and programs, motivates, coaches, fosters teamwork, directs and assesses employees to ensure that quality control and service levels are maximized. In addition, this position is also accountable for staffing/scheduling of department, handling escalations, monitoring operational statistics and defining & evaluating staff performance. This position is also directly responsible for the maintenance and operation of the facility including UPS/CRAC/GENERATOR and associated peripheral gear. The Data Center Manager is also directly accountable for maintaining Primus’ SAS70/CICA5970 and PCI compliance, reporting of monthly metrics and attending monthly management meetings to review same. This position reports directly to the Director, National Data Center Operations.
- Supervise the day-to-day IDC and Managed Services operation
- Liaise with internal teams to ensure server collocation setups meet established SLA’s and standards.
- Liaise with Network Administrators, Implementations and Managed system administration for all needed Primus installs and on-going support
- Coordinate all new device installations in server room
- Maintain adequate supply levels for Ethernet patch cables, power cables, KVM gear, etc.
- Provide strong support to IDC staff in the areas of trouble resolution & operations - resolve high end escalated internal and external complaints. Identify delinquent issues requiring escalations to the Director, National Data Center Operations
- Ensure network/facility outages are communicated to the appropriate parties in a timely manner
- Ensure all rigorous controls and processes to maintain SAS70/CICA5970 and PCI compliance are adhered to by the IDC team
- Consistently monitor and evaluate the departmental operations in search of methods/tools to optimize the process
- Conduct regular meetings with direct reports to identify and resolve departmental issues
- Identify training requirements of all existing and new employees and ensure that all employees are fully trained and well informed on products/services, policies and procedure to meet performance expectations
- Ensure adequate staff is available at all times to meet the business needs – identify recruitment needs, as required
- Conduct performance evaluation of the direct reports and provide effective suggestions, constructive and positive feedback on staff performance
- Continually assess employees and be directly involved in any disciplinary actions or dismissals
- Quick and effective troubleshooting to diagnose mechanical and /or electrical systems failures and working with contractors to quickly resolve or mitigate interruption in services
- Basic preventative mechanical and/or electrical maintenance
- Systematically troubleshoot various facilities systems
- Maintenance of related electrical drawing documentation and projects
- A working knowledge of pumps, compressors, boilers, chillers, facilities HVAC systems is necessary
- A working knowledge of UPS systems and associated switch gear
- A working knowledge of standby generator systems and associated switchgear
- A working knowledge of sprinkler systems/ fire alarms systems testing, building management systems)
- Works directly with contractors until assignments are satisfactorily completed
- Be available for emergency on-call and shift work including midnights, weekends and on-call
- Maintain data center security
- Maintain security integrity at Primus based on security policies
- Ensure all health and safety guidelines are enforced by both internal and external visitors to the Data Centre
- Document/update policy and procedures
- Attend and contribute to the Primus compliance and security team
- Attend engineering meetings
- Attend contractor meetings
- Attend management meetings
- Post Secondary College education in ISP, Networking, Facility Management, Building Controls systems and/or equivalent
- 3-5 years of Data networking & ISP experience
- Advanced Knowledge of hardware, installations, troubleshooting, conflicts, etc.
- Knowledge of ATM (including maintenance and troubleshooting)
- Technical knowledge (including development, maintenance and troubleshooting) of Internet networking
- Thorough understanding of data services & related network hardware maintenance
- Management experience required. Building Management/Facilities
- PMP considered and asset
and multiple Internet applications such as ADSL, ISDN and DMS switches and CISCO, Ascend Routers
- Working knowledge of – Windows, MS Word, Excel and Lotus Notes
- Strong interpersonal skills for effective interaction with employees, clients & third parties
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to create and interpret technical documents and reports
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills
The Next Steps…
All Interested candidates please submit resume to: email@example.com
Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in the workplace, are committed to Employment Equity and will provide reasonable workplace accommodation to applicants with disabilities. All interested individuals, including those who consider themselves to be aboriginal, visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies and/or telephone applications pleas.