Director of E-Discovery Counsel (closed)
The Director of E-Discovery Counsel is responsible for working with litigation attorneys and paralegals on the development, maintenance and governance of all discovery policies and practices for the company in the U. S.
This position will be responsible for growing and managing an in-house E-Discovery Department of a Fortune 500 corporation.
This company has over 100,000 employees in over 30 offices around the world. The company offers TOP-tier benefits with a heavy focus on maintaining a work-life balance with flexible working schedules, including options such as career breaks, marriage leave, maternity/paternity or adoption leave, and parental leave. The company has been recognized as Top Employer of the Year.
Key accountabilities include:
- Development and Oversight of Enterprise Discovery Program, Policies and Procedures
- Providing governance for and oversight of discovery related initiatives and activities with IT, Legal, and Records Management.
- Developing and maintaining guidelines for in-house counsel, including a litigation response plan and a consistent practice for the execution of all discovery phases including: matter intake, strategy and scope/legal hold, collection, data processing, document review and production and on-going case management.
- Advocating discovery ?best practices? and efforts throughout the enterprise.
- Leading training initiative for appropriate Legal and IT staff with respect to policies, procedures, best practices, and technology solutions to ensure effectiveness of the overall program.
- Monitoring industry technologies and best practices and makes recommendations on adoption and direction to Legal and IT Management.
- Monitoring developing laws that relate to discovery and work with Legal to refine direction and processes as required.
- Coordinating with Legal to ensure defensibility of processes.
- Auditing policies and procedures periodically to ensure compliance.
- Coordinating with IT Management to ensure that Infrastructure Strategy and projects are aligned with Legal Department discovery requirements.
Lead Discovery Team in Case Support
- In coordination with in-house attorneys, establish, oversee and execute as to scope, schedule and budget for discovery on a case specific basis.
- Coordinate with in-house and outside counsel to develop and implement case specific strategy, including identification of key individuals, topics, search terms and information repositories.
- Utilize or coordinate use of technology solutions, and oversees service providers and IT in support of preserving, collecting, processing, searching, analyzing, reviewing, producing and, as necessary, presenting data on a case specific basis.
- Ensure proper authentication and chain of custody records are maintained during all phases of discovery and, with in-house attorneys, prepare to ensure admissibility of information as necessary in court.
- Assist counsel in preparing for initial disclosures and pre-trial conferences under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and similar state rules.
- Prepare to testify as a potential Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 30(b)(6) and state law equivalent witness regarding discovery issues.
Technology and Service Provider Oversight
- Oversee the selection and management of applications, systems and service providers for discovery.
- Oversee the maintenance of the technology environment required to support discovery.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive map of IT infrastructure.
- Establish and manage the discovery capital and overhead budgets.
- Communicate plans, status and issues on a regular basis to IT and Legal management.
Essential criteria & qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree (computer science or related field preferred)
- J.D. required
- Strong knowledge of discovery practices and supporting technology and process tools
- Strong knowledge of IT Project Management (PMP Certification a plus)
- Strong knowledge of requirements for application tool selection and implementation
- Knowledge of outsource vendor management practices
- Ability to testify on behalf of the company on discovery issues
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including facilitation, matrix management and negotiation
- Strong ability to build, influence, lead and motivate others towards practical end results
- Strong ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management
- Ability to estimate and execute departmental and project budgets
- Minimum 10 years experience supporting legal clients and 5 years managing staff
- Experience selecting, implementing and supporting applications and systems
- Experience in selecting and managing outsourced vendors
- Experience in working with all levels of staff and management
- Relocation assistance is available
- Top-Tier Benefit Offerings including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, LTD, STD
- Highly competitive salary, annual bonus, 401(k) with company match, and many other benefits