seeks a Customer Support Engineer to join some of the industry's brightest minds in developing and deploying today's most advanced Internet technologies. In this role, you will gain insight on the detailed functionality of Cisco products and partner with all distributed elements of the service chain. The ideal candidate demonstrates an aptitude for learning new technologies, evidenced by the ability to expand upon core knowledge. This is a great opportunity for someone with patience and an empathetic view of the customer to hone their skills and advance their career, and provide value to customers while working with an industry leader in networking technology.
The Customer Support Engineer will work in a team environment responsible for supporting customers in the installation and operation of our Business Unit’s broadband delivery systems and Video on Demand servers. This role will troubleshoot video and data communication networks based on RF and Ethernet technologies and will develop systems strategy to maximize system performance, reliability and security of broadband communication networks. This individual will participate in after-hours escalation rotation and occasional (less than 5%) travel to customer site. Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company´s advanced video and signal processing hardware and software systems. Works closely with technical operations staff on system design and configuration.
- Troubleshoot and resolve major system problems for broadband networks, with a focus on Video On Demand Servers.
- Develop, present and document network changes to existing systems.
- Analyze network bandwidth and Quality of Service requirements for multiple application networks.
- Proactively identify customer issues and problems and opportunities for new services.
- Participate in after hours escalation rotation.
- Typically requires BS, CS, or University degree equivalent plus 5 years relevant experience in network engineering or telecommunications support environment.
- 5+ years of industry related experience
- 5+ years of progressive technical support experience (engineering or equivalent)
- 5+ years of Linux, UNIX, or Sun Solaris technical experience
- 5+ years knowledge of TCP/IP stack
- 1+ years experience with and be able to use video analyzers, packet analyzers, and interpret data to resolve complex problems.
- 3+ years experience working with routers/switches
- 1+ years of software/hardware system integration techniques
- 1+ years of CATV equipment, HFC networking, video/set top box applications
- 1+ years understanding various routing protocols (OSPF/RIP/NAT/Multicast)
- 5+ years performing system level debugging and troubleshooting techniques
- Proven problem solving, resolution and root cause analysis skills.
- Excellent technical writing/reporting and procedural documentation skills.
- Ability and willingness to participate in after-hours escalation rotation.
- Ability and willingness to travel to customer sites (typically infrequent (less than 5%), but may be with minimal lead time)
- Cisco certifications (CCNA/DA/DP); Knowledge of various ISP services like DNS, DHCP, proxy, and mail through CMTS equipment
- Experience using a network analyzer and interpreting data to resolve network problems.
- Cable Experience - Analog video, MPEG-2, MPEG 4 encryption, billing systems, VOD and interactive program guides desired.
- Expertise in complex configurations of broadband networks.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with cross-functional teams; ability to work with call center support personnel to troubleshoot problems over the phone; experience working closely with engineering staff to resolve escalated customer issues.