Database Administrator (closed)
Hotwire.com is a leading discount travel Web site with consistently lower prices on airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, cruises and vacation packages. Launched in 2000 with funding from six major airlines, Hotwire negotiates deep discounts from its travel suppliers to help sell their excess inventory. Hotwire is a wholly owned subsidiary of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE) and is based in San Francisco, CA. For more information, visit http://www.hotwire.com/
Day one. Step into the Hotwire offices. You'll be instantly greeted by a fun, fast-paced atmosphere. Working here, you'll be surrounded by a bright, motivated group of individuals who share a common goal--to make international and domestic travel-planning easy.
So what makes us Hotwire? Many wonderfully distinct things, including:
• Our open work environment
• People work hard, but get the opportunity to play hard outside the office
• Company-organized outings, including parties, charity events and volunteer days
• Great travel perks
• Vibrant startup atmosphere, yet the stability of being part of Expedia, Inc.
• Opportunities to grow
• An all-inclusive, diverse culture
As you can see, it's different here. If you're the type of person who thrives on delivering solutions to develop our industry niche, as well as your future, you're landing at the right place.
Welcome. Now prepare for career take-off!
The DBA position will join the existing three members DBA team. Duties involve understanding Business requirements to design DB solutions that support Hotwire projects on Oracle 10g R2, Oracle 11g R2 and Oracle Exadata v2 environments which include e-commerce sites (Hotwire.com, Travel-ticker.com, customer care tools), Data Warehouse and Corporate Systems. This role involves collaboration with other teams: Engineering, Business Intelligence, Project Management, IT Arch, UNIX and SAN Admin, Network Operations, and Tier 3 Application support teams.
• Design, engineer and support highly available, reliable and scalable databases to support Business and IT projects for e-commerce, data warehouse and oracle applications databases.
• Maintain and manage multi-terabytes of Oracle 10g, 11g and Oracle Exadata v2 databases.
• Support load testing and systems testing from DB perspective and refresh test DB environments for on-going monthly releases.
• Support and deploy DB changes on databases for on-going releases.
• Apply database patches on an on-going basis.
• Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation.
• Capacity planning and management for DB storage, CPU and memory.
• Perform database administration tasks including creating and configuring databases, tablespaces, DB objects, automation of routine tasks and DB health monitoring using shell scripts, BMC ProactiveNet and Oracle Grid Control, space management, RMAN backup and recovery.
• Support users, tune and troubleshoot SQL and database performance issues.
• Effectively manage projects as necessary.
• Additional tasks as assigned.
• Expert understanding of Oracle 10g/11g internals.
• Good understanding of Oracle ASM and RAC.
• Sound understanding of relational database concepts, OLTP and DSS systems.
• Proficient in SQL and DB tuning, table partitioning, table data compression, parallelizing queries and oracle resource manager.
• Experience in installing, creating and configuring Oracle databases for OLTP and DSS systems.
• Previous work experience in performing backup and recovery using RMAN and conventional method, data pump, export & import and SQL Loader.
• Solid SQL and PL/SQL programming skills. Ability to write shell or perl scripts to automate tasks.
• Knowledgeable to use monitoring and troubleshooting utilities like AWR reports, ADDM, ASH and Oracle Grid Control to effectively diagnose problems and offer solutions.
• Ability to quickly drive problems and issues to resolution and handle multiple complex issues or processes simultaneously.
• Strong interpersonal, analytical, customer service skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Work Experience and Education Guidelines:
• 5+ years experience in designing, engineering and supporting mission critical, multi-terabyte OLTP and DSS databases on Unix (preferably Solaris and Oracle Linux).
• 7+ years experience with relevant technologies and with implementing, administering, and supporting production databases.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent IT work experience.
• Work experience on Oracle Applications is a plus.
Qualified applicants please submit your resume here: http://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_expedia/external/gateway.do?functionName=applyFromLink&source=Craigs+List&jobPostID=58204&locale=en-us&sourceType= PREMIUM_POST_SITE &QID=
Hotwire, an equal opportunity employer, offers an exciting opportunity for qualified career-motivated professionals. We provide competitive compensation, performance bonus and the chance to work with talented people in a winning, successful, and pleasant environment. We offer many premium benefits including matching 401(k), dental, medical, vision, life insurance, vacation & sick time and much more.