Database Application Programmer Job Description:
Database Application Programmer works closely across the development teams to create, manage and govern the application database. In addition, the individual will be responsible for smooth operations of production systems and produce a data management strategy, and guide and govern its adoption. This position also researches and evaluates new technologies and software products to determine feasibility and desirability of incorporating their capabilities; supports application development, conducts performance, scalability and benchmark testing, as well as a subject matter expertise in database technology and design; and mentors less experienced staff.
· Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field – Master’s degree preferred.
· 10+ years experience in database architecture and design, development and deployment utilizing DB2/UDB and Oracle
· 8+ years of experience of DB2/UDB database systems catalogs and access methods, SQL, PL/SQL, triggers and stored procedures.
· 8+ years of hands-on experience with multiple hardware environments, including deployments on IBM AIX, System Z and UNIX.
· 6+ years in designing and implementing high availability database systems.
· 4+ years working experience with Data Modeling tools.
· Strong knowledge of data architecture principles, trends, and best practices.
· Excellent understanding of JDBC and data access strategies including ORM is preferred.
· Deep understanding of database theory and practice.
· Broad knowledge of data representation and definition including XML Schema.
· Familiarity with commercial models and standards such as SWIFT and ISO20022.
· Previous experience in financial services including industry data and formats is highly desired.
· Full life cycle experience in both designing new systems from the ground up, as well as reverse engineering and improving existing and legacy systems.
· Data warehousing and ETL experience is a plus.
· Knowledge of database archiving and backup/recovery techniques.
· Experience with Business intelligence tools is a plus.
· Experience with OLAP, star Schemas is a plus.
· Knowledge of database partitioning, disk configurations, RAID level and its impact on performance.
· Experience in planning, installing, testing and deploying database software, upgrades and patches.
· Desire and ability to work in a high-visibility, fast paced, global, and multi-location environments.
· Good time management and organization skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including written, verbal and presentation.
· Strong decision making skills with ability to function both independently and as part of a team.
· Ability to advise and interpret on application of policies, procedures, and standards.